Spy & Espionage - Small Group Experience
Experience a side of London that few encounter - the 'cloak and dagger' world of international espionage. Discover the real-life sites, both past and present, used as headquarters for Britain’s top intelligence services and learn about some of the most infamous double agents of the Cold War. Join your Evan Evans Expert Guide as they shine a light on some of the city’s darkest mysteries, as you explore the real-life sites that staged the Cold War’s secret battles.
- Meeting Point
St. Ermin’s Hotel
Your Guide will be waiting to greet you next to the concierge desk at the historic St. Ermin’s Hotel, located at 2 Caxton Street in Westminster, located around a 5-minute walk from St James Underground station (serviced by the District Line).
- Spy & Espionage Experience
This Experience starts in style at the St. Ermin's Hotel; former headquarter of MI6, where an original coded message was written on silk hangers in the lobby - hunt it down and try to crack the code. Or have a drink before your tour starts at the hotel's Caxton Bar where, in the 1950s, Guy Burgess handed over top-secret papers to his Russian handler.
For decades MI5, MI6 and GCHQ pitted themselves against the intelligence apparatus of the Soviet Union. Theirs is a tale of tragedy, betrayal, and eventual triumph in the war of espionage and counterintelligence. On this fantastic experience, you will explore this shadowy world and gain an insight into Britain's top intelligence agencies and the different roles they play in protecting the country.
See the home of MI6- famously featured in several James Bond movies - the headquarters of MI5 and visit the public 'dead drop' sites where spies exchanged top-secret information. Discover the locations used by Intelligence Services to recruit their agents, and be shaken and stirred by the stories of some of Britain's most infamous traitors and double agents who passed top-secret information on to the Soviets.
- End Point
London Victoria Train Station
Your Experience will finish outside London Victoria Train Station, centrally located and easily accessible by national rail and underground, it is serviced by the Victoria, District and Circle Lines and is in Travel Zone 1.
- Experiences Starts: 1:30 pm, concierge desk at the St Ermin's Hotel (Meeting time is 15 minutes prior, 1:15 pm)
- Experiences Finishes: approx 4:30 pm at Victoria Train Station (optional drop-off at the St Ermin’s Hotel)
- Hear fascinating tales of treachery, tragedy and subterfuge
- Gain an insight into Cold War espionage in London and learn about double agents who passed secrets to the Soviet Union
- Discover the real-life sites used as the headquarters for MI6 and discover how the various intelligence services operate today
- Luxurious coach with glass roof, reclining seats & FREE Wi-Fi
- A maximum of 16 people on this Experience