The Royal Observatory, Greenwich
Visit the home of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), stand astride the world-famous Meridian Line and enjoy dramatic views of London across Greenwich Royal Park, the City of London and the River Thames.
The Royal Observatory is the historic home of British astronomy, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and the world-famous Meridian Line. Established in the 17th century and designed by Sir Christopher Wren, it was from here that the great scientists of the time precisely mapped the stars to help navigate at sea.
Stand astride the Meridian Line, chosen to be the Prime Meridian of the World back in 1884, with one foot in each hemisphere. Walk in the footsteps of the Royal Astronomers, discover their stories, and experience the past, present and future wonders of astronomy, space and the stars.
Must-see attractions include the Great Equatorial Telescope, Harrison’s clocks, the Shepherd Gate Clock, the Time Ball and the famous Octagon Room.
- Attraction Address: Royal Observatory Greenwich, Blackheath Ave, Greenwich, London SE10 8XJ
- The duration is a suggested time only
- Please note, you will require a printed copy of your ticket
- Children aged 4 and below are free
- Disabled Access: Most areas of the Observatory are fully accessible. However, older buildings have restricted access. The Flamsteed House apartments are not recommended for wheelchair users, and the Octagon Room is only accessible via stairs, as is the Great Equatorial Telescope
- The Royal Observatory Greenwich is closed on the 24-26 December
- Closing time may occasionally vary. Last admission is 30 minutes before closing time
- Evan Evans E-tickets are valid on your nominated date, or on any other date during regular opening hours, for up to 30 days afterwards. All dates are subject to availability, and the supplier reserves the right to alter its opening times/service at short notice. Tickets can only be used for one visit and will be taken in by the supplier upon exchange
- Stand astride the world-famous Meridian Line
- Use your complimentary audio guide to uncover the history of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- See clocks and timepieces that have literally changed the world
- Enjoy dramatic views of London across Greenwich Royal Park, the City of London and the River Thames
Entrance to the Royal Observatory
(1 January - 31 December)
Monday To Sunday 10:00am - 5:00pm